CAREERS, UNIVERSITY AND SIXTH FORM ENTRANCE SUPPORT
JK Educate have expert advisors available to help with big decisions, including which GCSE, sixth form and university courses to choose, to help students reach their potential and their ambitions. We help students to see how they can get to where they want to be. This forms part of our wrap-round support for our students and families; please call us for future career mapping and education advice before making any big decisions. Your child. Our priority. We are here to help at any stage in your child’s educational journey.
UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE SUPPORT
JK have specialist tutors that provide tutoring, advice and support for interviews and university entrance exams. We provide this service for UK and overseas students applying to UK universities.
Our experienced tutors and consultants have years of experience; they include secondary school teachers, heads of departments in schools and sixth form colleges, subject specialists including medics and lawyers, and careers guidance practitioners.
Our advisors work with individual students to support them in submitting appropriate, well thought out and high-quality university applications, showing evidence of research and careful thought. We have an expert on hand to provide help with choosing universities to suit each individual, including specific advice on which universities to apply for, based on a student’s predicted grades and their CV, to optimise their chances of getting favourable offers. They have a wealth of experience in personal statement writing and interview techniques. All this support is currently available online, using our interactive online platform. And once at university, if students need a little extra support adjusting to the different way of studying or to specific subject areas, we can offer flexible, targeted undergraduate tutoring.
From Secondary Admissions to Oxbridge Interview“We have been using JK Educate for many years. They helped us to prepare my daughter for secondary school admissions exams and they just helped her to prepare for her Cambridge interview. She has just been offered a place. Her JK Educate tutor did an absolutely brilliant job of supporting her to rebuild her confidence after the school’s approach to preparing her had rather seriously backfired!”
Specific services include:
- Study skills and exam technique
- University admissions
- University entrance exam preparation
- Mock university interviews
- Subject-specific Oxbridge interview preparation
- Subject-specific Russell Group University preparation
- Biomed applications
- Interview preparation for medical, dental and veterinary schools
- Advice and support preparing personal statements
- Tutoring for the UCAT, BMAT, LNAT, STEP, TMUA and other professional university entrance exams
Case Study: University Application Process
This is a recent example of how we help students with the university application process:
The Year 13 student was high achieving, with predicted grades of As and A*s in her A Level subjects. The brief was to prepare her for university interviews and review and refine her Personal Statement over a block of six sessions.
Firstly, the JK Matching Team and Secondary Lead identified an appropriate tutor with the relevant skills and experience – a role model, a positive influence, and someone who would instil confidence.
The tutor helped the student articulate her interest in, motivation for and understanding of her chosen degree, and probe what she had learnt and the impact of the learning on her choice. In addition, the tutor encouraged her to draw on a wide range of specific experiences, skills and qualities which she could link to the course. They looked at model examples of Personal Statements from the point of view of structure, tone, style and flow. After each session, the tutor would feedback with specific points of action until they were finally satisfied with a full and well-evidenced Personal Statement.
The tutor also supported the student in becoming interview-ready. They conducted an entire mock interview over the course of a session, which highlighted areas of strength as well as revealing some areas to work on. The student took the feedback on board and was able to have more precise information at her fingertips to be able to respond fully to the question, ‘Why this course?’ She could also talk with greater confidence about her own personal qualities and how she could contribute to the course.
It was a rewarding experience for both tutor and student to arrive at a point of readiness and be in a strong pre-interview position.
The student had 4 successful interviews and was offered a place at her first-choice university.
SIXTH FORM ENTRANCE SUPPORT
The important transition from GCSE to an A Level or vocational course is not always an easy one. In order for a student to be comfortable and successful in their studies it is necessary to research information and consider a range of issues before making a final decision on moving to a Sixth Form.
JK has specialist tutors and advisors to offer advice on where to study at sixth form level, and what to study for certain careers. We also help students prepare for entrance applications, interviews and 16+ entrance exams.
Call us on 020 3488 0754 to discuss how we can support these important decisions and the subsequent application process.
Some factors to consider when choosing a sixth form destination:
- The student’s current educational experience and enthusiasms
- Their predicted GCSE grades and how these fit school or college admissions criteria
- Longer term aims for the future – are they aiming towards employment, an Apprenticeship or Higher Education after sixth form? What qualifications will they need to meet that aim?
- Which sixth form environment will best develop a useful range of social and transferable skills?
- Do they lean towards the academic or the more practical and vocational?
- Are there both compulsory and elective elements that interest the student in the courses they are considering?
- The school or college’s past examination results and student destinations.
- Does the student like the feel of the place when they visit?
- Do they want a more structured environment with close monitoring of progress, or a more relaxed and independent learning approach?
- Location is an important consideration, to avoid an unnecessarily long and tiring daily journey.
These factors are just a start point. Our experience advisors can help with the decision process in choosing a sixth form that is right for your child. Call us now on 020 3488 0754.
SUPPORT FOR GCSE OPTIONS
Deciding which GCSEs to take is a difficult process and as with the choices of sixth form and university subjects and destinations, expert advice can help clarify the implications of each option. We help students to see how particular GCSEs can get to where they want to be and which subject combinations would work best to open up their options and prepare them for sixth form and university choices.
- In students' homes or online